If you’ve just gotten in an accident and your car needs a little TLC, chances are you’re trying to keep your bills as low as possible while still getting good service. You probably want to shop around to find the best prices, but you also have to make sure the place you choose is covered by your Utah auto insurance.
So, can you pick the repair shop that you think will be best, instead of going with the shops your insurance recommends? Let’s take a look at laws for Utah auto insurance and see what they have to say about choosing your own repair shop.
Utah’s Laws About Auto Insurance
In the state of Utah, you are not required to get more than one estimate or use a certain repair shop. You can go to any auto body shop that you trust to get your car repaired.
However, there are a few things you should keep in mind before making your decision.
Check with Your Insurance Company First
Recommended shops have pre-negotiated prices with the insurance companies and can help streamline the claims process. But if you have a shop that you’ve been using for years and trust, it’s your right to go with the repair shop of your choice.
Get More Than One Estimate
While you’re not required to get multiple estimates, it’s still a good idea. This way, you can compare prices and services between different shops to see who can give you the best deal.
Be Wary of Insurance Recommendations
Don’t be too quick to trust an insurance company’s recommendation. They might try to steer you towards a certain shop because they have a financial relationship with them. Always get multiple estimates and do your research before making a decision.
Should I Go With My Insurance’s Recommended Shops?
There are pros and cons to using your insurance company’s recommended shops. There are some benefits to using these shops, such as:
- They can help streamline the claims process.
- The prices are pre-negotiated, so you might save some money.
- They might offer a rental car while your car is being repaired.
However, if the accident is small and you just need a few repairs, you might be better off going to a local shop. These shops might be able to do the repairs faster and for less money.
Remember that your Utah auto insurance company might have a contract with certain shops, so they might try to steer you towards them. Always get multiple estimates and do your research before making a final decision. At the end of the day, you have the right to choose any repair shop you want.
Find the Right Repair Shop For You
Not every auto repair shop is created equal. Some will offer the lowest prices possible but not be able to deliver when it comes to quality and customer service. When calling around or looking at the shops’ websites, look for:
- Accreditation: Make sure the shop is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Certifications: The shop should have certifications from organizations like the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).
- Warranties: Most good repair shops will offer a warranty on their workmanship. This means that if there are any problems with the repairs, the shop will fix them for free. Be sure to ask about warranties before you get your car repaired, and make sure that the shop you choose is willing to stand behind their work.
- Customer service: How do they treat you when you call them or come in for an estimate? Do they seem professional and helpful?
Once you’ve narrowed it down to a few shops, get estimates from each one. This will help you make the best decision for your needs and budget.
Valley Collision Can Help
Our work at Valley Collision is I-CAR Gold Class Certified, the highest training achievement recognized by the collision repair industry. Only about 20% of repair shops currently meet this rigorous Gold Class standard.
When you come to Valley Collision, you can be confident that you’re getting the best possible service. We will work with your Utah auto insurance company to make sure your repairs are covered and help you through every step of the process. Contact us today to schedule a free estimate.